Monday 30 January 2012

Day 2 27/1/12

I woke up at 9am feeling very refreshed - as it turns out the mattress plus Freda's in built blinds are a slumbersome combination. (Yep, I've just made up a new word: slumbersome).
Wandered over to the Tennis Club for the "Poets breakfast" which was basically people just sitting around reciting (mostly Aussie) poems - some were funny, some sad, some (to my ears) just bloody stupid but it was good to just sit there and listen to people talk about a whole host of different things. One person remarked that this gathering is like the white fella's version of "the dreaming". It's how we keep our past alive.



In the afternoon I wandered off to one of two waterholes which Charlotte told me about for a cool off and "hippy bath".
I ended up having it all to myself which was kinda cool but also kinda creepy. I instantly started to creep myself out by thinking back to that Linda Kozlowski scene in Crocodile Dundee then BANG! Across the top of the surface of the water skims what I'm sure can only be the head of a killer croc! Yikes! But as I calm down and think things through rationally, how likely is it that a croc could be living in Cooma of all places? As it turns out, with my shocking shorsightedness and overactive imagination, I had mistaken a water rat (or some sort of mammal) for a crocodile - hey! It's easy enough to do! Don't judge!
So after my Dundee incidient I went over to the Hall again for dinner. Quiche and salad was on the menu tonight and filled the gap nicely.
I had a bizarre after dinner conversation with a bloke who thought I was the boyfriend from Melbourne whom his daughter was bringing up for the first time to meet the family. We yakked on for 10 minutes or more about stuff until the penny dropped for me as to what this guy was thinking and I had to inform him that unfortunately I was not his daughter's beau. He said "Well you look a bit like him, and anyways you seem like a nice enough sorta bloke". I said thanks and continued on my way. Later when I found out which one was his daughter I was REALLY wishing I was "the bloke from Melbourne". PHWOAR!
Back to the van for more serenades by my neighbours. Good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment