Monday 30 January 2012

Day 4 29/1/12

Woke up and went to the markets this morning - not much to see.



Found a good spot to sit and people watch for a while and witnessed an amazing (music) jam build up over the course of an hour right before my eyes.
It started with one bloke just playing guitar, he was then joined by a fiddle player, a mandolin player then rocked up, then another fiddle player THEN another guitar player so what started from nothing soon became a 5 man jam with a crowd to watch them to boot! Only at a folk festival - good stuff.
Back to Freda for some lunch and all inspired by what I witnessed at the markets, I got out my guitar and stated strumming some tunes. Oddly I was then accompanied by a guy on clarinet some 20 metres away on the hill! It's the most long distance jam I have ever had! Weird experience but kinda fun.
After lunch I went back to the hall to take in some bluegrass music and got chatting with a bloke called Brian. He was a really nice chap, full of energy and I got some good travelling tips off him as well some good spots to camp near Sydney that aren't too bad. He was interested in the fact I had a journal and was taking pictures and writing notes and thought it was a wonderful thing.
I walked back to the van and got talking to ANOTHER bloke who's seemingly in love with Freda - again I did some slick ducking and weaving around any automotive questions. On my way to the waterhole I ran in to a bloke called "Sleepy" who played at the blackboard concert the day before. Sleepy grew up in Wagga and told me about the songs he's written and the themes behind his latest album - nice bloke.
Got to the famous waterhole, wondering what sort of sights would await me and I wasn't disappointed. Through the bushes (ha!) were a young naked couple...not sure if they were having "adult cuddles" or not but I certainly gave them a shock! LOL! Anyways, it wasn't gonna stop me from going for dip so I did. I REALLY wanted to take a photo of the waterhole but was in two minds because given the young couple around the corner, I didn't want them to see me with a camera in my hands and think I was some kind of pervert. But on the other hand, why shouldn't I take a photo of the waterhole? It's a free country. So I got the camera out of my bag as quickly as I could, set up the tripod, hit the timer and jumped into the water. Upon checking the photo it turns out there was a big bloody grass tussock obscuring the vision of me (probably a good thing). My nerves were shot by this stage and I wasn't going to risk being seen as a perve a second time so I packed my bat and balls and went home.


Went over to the hall again for an early (and final) supper and wandered back just on dusk, listening to the kookaburras calling and other bush noises. Almost everyone has packed up and left and it's a strange feeling to be sitting here in pretty much complete silence and thinking that for the past 3 nights there has been so much music, laughter and general merriment and now nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment