Sunday 5 August 2012

20/7/12 - 22/7/12

Today was the start of my journey on the world famous Ghan train that runs from Darwin right through the middle of Australia to Adelaide.
I didn't get much sleep in the hostel last night.
I Was in a 4 bedroom dorm with three interesting characters.
There was an Asian bloke who did not stop snoring all night, an old bloke from Tassie who uncannily blurted each time I was starting to drift off to sleep and there was a young bloke who refused to put his phone on silent and was getting calls and texts all through the night.

YHA Darwin...where the room mates snore from both ends...

By 6am I cut my losses, packed my things and walked down the road to catch the bus and board the train.

The mighty Ghan (pronounced "Gan")

"I see that train a comin', it's rollin' round the bend..."
When I got on the train I discovered that had I not only been reserved a seat but a full private cabin all to myself! Score!

My own private cabin...hells yes!

It was really fun negotiaing these hallways to get to the bar 20 carriages away with guitar in tow...
After I settled in, all there was to do was sit back and enjoy the ride!
I was scheduled to play at one of the bars on board at 5.30pm so I made my way there and funnily enough ran in to a bloke from Wagga who I hadn't seen for years!
After a quick catch up it was time to play some tunes.
The audience weren't really into it at all with most talking to each other and getting ready for their dinner.
So that was a bit of a let down but I had to keep telling myself that it was a small thing to do to get my free trip and food so that's what got me through.
Speaking of free food, I somehow managed to score myself a free feed in the first class dining section.
My dinner companions for the night were three lovely old ladies - Betty and Pam from Adelaide and Frances from Perth.
Funnily enough they asked me if I was on Facebook (didn't see that coming!) so I gave them a card and they said they would keep in touch with my travels.
So even though the gig was a fizzer, the dinner with the oldies more than made up for it.
I had a great sleep that night (after the disaster that was the hostel the night before) and got in to Alice Springs about midday the next day.
After checking into the hostel it was time to go for a walk and take a look around town.
I'm sure I spotted a celebrity but I don't know who he is or what show he's from (Blue Healers? Sea Patrol?) so if you know who this is can you please let me know?

Who is this guy? He's a C grade celebrity of sorts I'm sure...
I then walked up to the lookout which provided pretty good views over the Alice township.

A town like Alice.......(**Cliched Caption #327**)
Early night tonight in prep for an early start (and a visit to Uluru) tomorrow.
Oh! Quote of the Ghan trip - I overhead some oldies talking about me and one said "Look at his lovely white teeth" while the other responded "I bet they're all his own too..." HAHAHA

No comments:

Post a Comment