Thursday 13 September 2012

1/09/12


Firrst day of September today and I honestly thought that when I hit the road in January that there was every chance that I wouldn't still be on the road by September but here I am!
After a quick stop in Katherine, where I found out what was making news in the NT...

Look! Freda has made the news! ;)

...it was about a 30km drive to Katherine Gorge or Nitmiluk Gorge which it is now known as.
I got there at about midday and it was too hot to do any walks to the gorge so I just hung out until later in the afternoon when the temperature had dropped a bit.
It was still pretty hot when I set out and the walk wasn't as easy as I had anticipated.
The river area wasn't all that impressive so I decided to walk further around to the first gorge which was a challenging 10km trek.
On the way I took a 1km detour over massive boulders and dodgy rocks to check out the southern rock hole which was a complete fizzer.

Piddly Pool.....Katherine Gorge
With the temperatures high and my mood getting darker as I trudged through the scrub I had thoughts of turning back but I pressed on to Ray's Lookout over the first gorge and I was glad I did as the views were magnificent.

Not bad....

I then began the long walk back to the camp spot, stopping on the way at a water tank and copping a mouth full of flies and an angry hornet - fun.
By the time I got back to camp I was hot, tired and completely fed up so I decided to go to the campground pool for a dip.
As soon as I hit the water I was completely revived and my bad mood over the last few hours completely disappeared.
There was a bloke playing music by the pool and there was a really good atmosphere with people eating and drinking and I was happy again.


No comments:

Post a Comment