Friday 10 February 2012

Day 14 08/02/12

Today was another highlight day "on tour".
After the rather subdued day yesterday I was keen to get out and about and see some stuff today. The plan was to head to Wilson's Promontory - I had looked up the weather forecast yesterday and it didn't look good but I thought, bugger it, I'm not gonna let a forecast stop me from doing things and so headed off about mid morning.
I made a detour via Venus Bay on the recommendation of a lady at the gig on Sunday who said I'd go well there. I dropped my card off to a lady at a Cafe called "Cavity" and also left my card and a note at another place across the road who were not open yet.
From there it was on to "The Prom". I got a pleasant surprise when I arrived, the weather was pretty close to perfect with the sun shining, a nice little breeze and temperatures above 20 degrees. I had heard that the camping here was pretty expensive so got a surprise when I only had to pay $25 - for the facilities (including hot showers!), location and being a National Park, I thought this represented pretty good value. Apparently it gets so busy here during school holidays that they have a ballot system to decide who actually gets a camp spot.
After driving Freda to the camp site I was determined to make the most of my time here and the good weather so wasted no time hitting the many bush walking tracks.  I powered through a couple of tracks and got all inspired thinking, "maybe next year I can walk around Australia for charity or something....yeah!" But I must admit, by the end of the afternoon my enthusiasm for walking had rapidly diminished. My feet hurt, it felt like my arse was dragging on the ground, I was hot, sweaty, stinky and all I wanted to do was lie down - so much for my walking around Australia idea! haha
I calculated the distance I must have walked that afternoon and it was over 20km of bush walking so not a bad effort.
On one of the tracks I spotted this stick, erm, sticking out of the ground and wondered whether it was the bush equivalent of the "sneakers on the telephone wire" or whether it meant something else?

Bush telegram?

Some of the views were absolutely stunning. I took heaps of photos so rather than post them all in the blog, I'll insert a link to an album of pictures which hopefully you can see here:

Wilsons Promontory

This is me on "Squeaky Beach" so named from the sound the sand makes when you walk through it...I walked through it and it wasn't any squeakier than any other beach I've been to...


Squeaky Beach

After crawling back to Freda from the bushwalking I decided to treat myself to a dip at Normans Beach which was like heaven for my aching feet....yipeee!


Norman's Beach - great way to end the day

On the way back to camp, I spotted this seagull doing its best Lion King impression:


Everything the light touches is our kingdom...

Once back at camp I cooked up some dinner, had a glorious hot shower then headed to bed to do some reading and writing. Unfortunately I was so knackered from such a big day that I was dead to the world within 5 minutes!  zzzzzzz

No comments:

Post a Comment