Friday 3 February 2012

Day 6 - 31/01/12

Woke up, had some brekky then found myself a nice shady spot on the oval, whipped out my guitar and had a pleasant morning playing some tunes for the groundsman. Not sure that he knew what to make of this half naked hippie singing on his oval but he must have figured "each to their own".
Travelled to Bega where I stopped and had lunch at the famous cheese factory. I learned all about the history of cheese in the area, through the interactive displays such as this one:


This one was a little too interactive:



I then went into town where I picked up some supplies and dropped into the ABC radio station. I met Ian who was very nice and already had my cd and had been meaning to tee up an interview so my random drop in was a timely reminder.
Then it was off to Gillards Beach which is part of the Mimosa National Park.
I've never stayed in a National Park before so this was all a new experience for me.
Freda tolerated the 4km dirt road to get there (though I don't think she was all that taken by it):




Much like I'm sure Mum wouldn't be too taken by me driving and taking photos at the same time!
I found myself a suitable spot literally metres from the beach:



I then went for a bit of a walk to oreint myself with my surroundings.
I had only walked a little way before I spotted a little kangaroo type thing on the road. "Wow," I thought. "I'd better go back and get the camera and get a shot of him before he runs away". So I raced back to the car, got the camera and took the photo:



However, just as I was about to move on, I heard a rustling noise and here was ANOTHER one only metres away from me - and it scared the absolute shit outta me! The next 5 minutes was like a real life "magic eye book" where all the creatures were just emerging from the background right before my eyes - pretty cool.
This was the grey mongrel that scared me:



The other thing to be careful of in national parks are stray hippy travellers:



It was really windy but I wasn't sure whether that was the norm for this area or whether it was just a windy day. Regardless, I pushed on and went about cooking my first ever camp dinner:



It all went off without a hitch, and after dinner I took in the beach views which, did I mention, were metres away from Freda and at dusk was absolutely magnificent:


No comments:

Post a Comment