Friday 3 February 2012

Day 7 1/02/12

Well I thought a few more campers may have "entered my area" last night but I awoke this morning and discovered I still have the place to myself - lucky I can handle my own company hey?
In the morning I went for a walk up and down the length of the beach just to see how far it extended.
Here I'm doing my best Elle McPherson impersonation though I'm sure Elle's chest is a lot fuller and probably a little less hairy:


Whilst walking, it's a good time to think and I was reminded of one of the most important achievements in my life, my first ever "dad joke". I was only a young fella, probably no more than 6 or 7 and we were on one of our family holidays at the beach. I remember walking behind my Dad and noticing the footprints he was leaving in the sand and trying to stretch my legs so I too could match his indentations.
And then! The heavens opened,white light beamed down from on high and the angels began to sing as comical inspiration hit me as I said: "Well, I guess you could say I'm following in my father's footsteps". With that I was greeted with a "well done son" from my Dad and a lifelong dedication to Dad jokes was born.
And with the beach to myself, I thought I'd posit another Dad joke 25 years on but this one is in pictorial form:
A shag on a rock:



Or....

A shag on a rock, ladies?




Shortly after taking this pic (soon to be included in the "Cowboy Hippies 2013" calendar) I realised that I didn't actually have the beach to myself and there were a couple of fisherman close by.  They MUST have seen me teeing up the shot and thought "Who's this poofter, taking topless shots of himself on a rock?" But fortunately they didn't question me as I sheepishly sidled my way back to Freda for lunch and some more topless action:



Then I was off to check out a little bush track I noticed late yesteday. It actually opened out onto a cool little estuary (actually I have no idea what an estuary is but it sounds good) with a little island and without sounding too wanky or David Attenboroughy, it really felt as though I was at one with nature:



After that it was back to Freda to prepare dinner all the while thinking how silly I was, acting like a Japanese tourist when I spotted my first kangaroo, turns out they're everywhere you look!



Oh and did I mention the goannas?




Or the very rare headless goanna? (My wildlife photography leaves a lot to the imagination doens't it?)


1 comment:

  1. Best laugh I have had all day. Love the two fisherman watching, near fell off my chair. Go you wannabe Japanese tourist, look forward to you getting here. Still laughing Elle!! D xx

    ReplyDelete