Monday 20 February 2012

Day 17 11/02/12

It was a weird feeling not sleeping inside Freda - it's only been a couple of weeks yet I'm already becoming quite attached to her! haha
I had a funny feeling last night that I should have either slept in her or that some bad shite was gonna go down - and it it did, but luckily Freda was spared.
I got up after breakfast to move her around closer to Amanda's place and there was a guy running up and down the street looking a little distressed. He came up to me and told me his bike had been stolen from his van last night, the van that was parked RIGHT NEXT TO MINE. So I dodged a bullet there. Had they've known in my van was 100 copies of my latest Ep "Leaving Home" I'm sure they would not have thought twice about busting into Freda and getting away with all that musical bounty.
There was also graffiti on the wall and on a tv mere metres away from Freda that wasn't there yesterday so given what a nice, white, virgin canvas Freda's exterior offers the budding delinquent artist, I was fortunate she was not tagged either.
Ah, as Amanda sang all morning "Inner city pressure". Melbourne you have not endeared yourself to me in the slightest. Time to get away from the city again.
And off to Whittlesea for the Country Music Festival.
It took me about 45 minutes to get there and once there I had a brief drive around to see where things were - it didn't take too long.
Then it was off to the Bowling Club for a "Songwriters in the Round" with Shane Nicholson, Sam Hawkesly and Kim Ritchie.
This was an afternoon well spent as the performances and talking between songs was at times inspiring, humorous and just entertaining.  Even if you're not a song writer and just like music, I'd encourage you to go to see a "Songwriters in the round" performance - it's a great chance to hear about how songwriters come up with songs or to learn about things about the art and mystery of songwriting.
As you probably know, I'm a pretty reserved and quiet dude, unlikely to approach anyone unless they approach me first.  I wanted to give Shane Nicholson a copy of my cd as you just never know what might happen (perhaps Kasey Chambers will love one of the songs, decide to record it and make me rich?) plus James, who plays guitar in the Common Trees and his wife Carla are pretty big fans.
During the break I ummmed and aahhred as to whether to "seek out the Shane" and pussy-footed about too long and missed my chance.
So when the show wrapped up I knew it was now or never and I bit the bullet, "grew a pair" and approached him to give me my cd.
As I did so, expecting him to just fob me off or be a complete arsehole, I was taken aback at how approachable, friendly and generally "cool" he was.
I didn't take up too much of his time but it was cool to think he gave me a bit of his time and I was proud of the fact I actually approached someone semi-famous AND gave them a cd of mine. Whether the cd actually makes it to his cd player or not I'll never know, but the fact I plucked up the courage to approach him with it was a little victory for me.
The talented (and nice bloke) Shane Nicholson
After this, Whittlesea took a bit of a nosedive for me.
Upon leaving the Bowls Club I decided to walk up the main street to scope out my dinner options for the evening.
To my surprise, walking down the main street in my direction was a group of youths brandishing baseball bats!
I stopped to mentally check that this scene was in fact real and unfolding before me. "Teens, baseball bats, main street, Whittlesea, broad day light". Yep, it was happening alright.
"Maybe they're off to baseball practice?" I hoped as they got closer. Nope, kids who have baseball practice normally don't put their bats down their pants.
"Ok, do I cross the street and/or go the other way in case they decide to have a go at the lanky hippy guy with glasses?" No, that's just gonna look weak and draw attention to you.
"BUT THEY HAVE FREAKIN' BASEBALL BATS!!!!"
And before I had decided what to do, they had passed me, off down the road to some bruhaha that was, erm, brewing.
So yeah, that was a bit weird.
But not as weird as the night that was the result of a meatlovers pizza I was to have an hour later.
I thought it was a bit odd that it arrived 5 minutes after ordering it, but gave it no further thought as I dived head first into the meaty goodness.
Two hours later I wish I had not partaken in said pizza....it made me SO CROOCK.
As soon as the sun set I went back to Freda to settle in for the night, feeling a bit strange but thinking it may have just been tiredness from sleeping on a futon the night before.  But by midnight I was shaking, sweating and totally hulucinating, seeing all sorts of weird colours on the back of my eyelids - it was like my own personal Fantasia!
I somehow managed to get into the driver seat (Ace Ventura style) and drove to the sports ground where I jumped out of the car in my boxers and let the cold night air wash over me and eventually bring my body temperature down. My god, I was sick.
I eventually settled into some fitful sleep but worse was to come the next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment