Tuesday 7 February 2012

Day 9 03/02/12

Today I left Gillard's beach and my "Castaway" lifestyle and headed back to where the humans are and kangaroos aren't.
Went to Merimbula library to update some blogs and check my email.  Let me say that it's good to see our taxes going towards decent infrastructure in libraries. The facilities, staff and layout of the library was top notch.
This was the view from my desk:


As I sit and type this I'm reminded of a lyric from the Nirvana song "In Bloom": "Sell the kids for food, Weather changes moods". This has always been the case with me, when the weather is shitty, so am I.  Probably why I enjoyed a better state of mind whilst living in the "sunshine state".  Anyways, today's weather was just contiually light, shitty, drizzly rain which was just bumming me out by the end of the day. Boo hoo. Example of shitty weather:



I then went to Pambula where I decided to stay at the caravan park. The guy gave me the option of being in with the rest of the people (ie the long term residents) or out in the park adjacent to the cricket field. It didn't take me long to decide on the cricket field option:




After a GLORIOUS hot shower I went out and about to try and tee up a gig for the night. I ended up empty handed but it was the tale of two pubs and demonstrates the bullshit us musos have to go through to get a gig. I'm not gonna bitch and complain too much but unless you've ever been a muso and know first-hand the crap you have to go through to get a gig you simply have no idea. I approached one pub and the managers basically looked at me like I was a bit of scum to be scraped from their shoes and a real incovenience oo their obviously precious time. Wankers. Conversely, a guy at another pub could not have been any nicer and accomodating and did his best to tee something up but in the end it was too little warning - which is fair enough.  I will be in touch with him in the future for sure.
I got really frustrated with myself for taking the shitty people so personally and I sometimes wish I could just "grow a pair", barge into a venue, say "Hey bitches, I'm Steve, I'm gonna play a gig here and you're gonna freakin' love me, pay me AND buy a god damn cd". But in the end I can only be true to myself and be myself and if that doesn't get me to where I wanna be then so be it.
So feeling pretty bummed I went into Merrimbula and had some fish and chips and got talking to the guy who owns the tapas bar and is also a muso.  It's funny, we saw each other earlier in the day and had each other pegged for a muso so when I bothered to introduce myself the truth came out.  He was a nice bloke too and another potential contact for a gig next time I'm that way.
Well this has been a bit of an emo entry hasn't it? I told you, shitty weather = shitty Steve...


1 comment:

  1. Same thing happened to me with the two pubs, so don't take it personally... Their loss. Iam a muso too and work at the lovely Merimbula new library- a relaxing place to chill out with a book. Have my Cappucinobreak on the sunny verandah overlooking the marina- big change from dirty smoggy Sydney City library a few years back! I play French & Gypsy Accordion and sing Blues. Have fun musictravelling.

    ReplyDelete