Saturday 3 March 2012

Day 36 - 01/03/12

This morning I played a bit of guitar and mostly finished a new song called "FTW". The guitar solo is dodgy - very frustrating to hear what I want in my head but find it difficult to translate it to the fret board - that's why I make friends with lead guitarists I suppose!
I often forget to tune the guitar until AFTER I've recorded the demo and this one is no exception, d'Oh!
Anyways, a copy of it can be found by clicking below, there is a language warning, if you're not a fan of the "f" word, please don't click below. I'm not a massive fan of the word either but I really couldn't substitute anything else for it.


Later that night I made a last minute decision to go and see one of my favourite bands of the 90's, Bush, at The Palace.
They were supported by a young all-female rock band called Cherri Bomb as well as another 90's band, Staind.

I was (and still am) at least a couple of years behind when it comes to listening to the latest bands so Bush came along a couple of years after the grunge thing took off and I remember listening to their debut album "Sixteen Stone" religiously in my middle to late teens.
So it was a REALLY weird feeling to actually be seeing them live, 18 years after that debut was released.
It was even weirder seeing the lead singer, Gavin Rossdale, pretty much looking exactly as he did 18 years ago!
I took a couple of videos on the night, this one of "Little things":



And this one of the encore of "Glycerine":



There were a few "oldies" there who were about my age but I was surprised to see a lot of younger ones there too. The venue was pretty cool with two or three tiers and kinda reminded me of a smaller version of The Tivoli in Brisbane.
So yeah, a good night of grunge in Melbourne town.

Aaron Lewis from Staind...I once went to school with an Aaron Lewis...not this guy though...

Gavin Rossdale must have been cryogenically frozen 18 years ago and defrosted when he thought it was time for grunge to make a comeback.

No comments:

Post a Comment