Thursday 8 March 2012

Day 42 - 7/03/12

Today is what I like to call a "holiday day".
"But Steve, EVERY day for you is a holiday!" I hear you say.
Well, that is true, but a holiday day for me normally involves no driving, some reading, some writing, some guitar playing, and some exercise, all done at the slowest pace possible.
I've found this awesome Am radio station that plays all the classics and doesn't have very many ads so I had it going all day in the background.
I'm currently reading Paul Kelly's book "How to make gravy" and the chapter I started reading after breakfast related a story about Buck Owens who once said of songwriting: 'I found a sound that people liked, that radio liked...I found this basic concept and all I did was change the lyrics and the melody a little bit..changed the song and the chord progression a little bit and I sold it to them over and over again.'
Well that got me thinking...I had a chorus in my head since I drove from Parkes to Wagga before xmas but had been struggling to think of some verses. I also wasn't sure whether it should be a Common Trees or Stoner Pony song.
The Stoner Pony song "Save a horse..ride the pony" is arguably our best received song so with this in mind, I set about writing some verses for this new song with renewed vigour. Within an hour, something I had wrestled with was done within an hour - songwriting is a funny thing, isn't it?
So I'm looking forward to demoing it the next time I get a chance.
The rest of the afternoon was spent chilling out reading and listening to music.
After dinner I went for a walk along the beach which provided some great photo opportunities when the sun began to set. I can see how people get into photography, it's very satisfying when you get a good shot.

Steve Case - Master Photographer
I like to call this one "Dude on a beach"

No comments:

Post a Comment