Thursday 8 March 2012

Day 40 - 5/3/12

It was time to say goodbye to Amanda and Melbourne today.
The past week in Melbourne has really changed my opinion of it - I saw a different side to the city and really enjoyed the time spent there.
But alas, it was "time to hit the road" again and get back into the swing of van life again.

On the road again..
I negotiated getting out of the city like a pro with the first stop Portarlington.
There was nothing too exciting here apart from the open air urinal - I'd never experienced one of these before.
It had it all - the joy of pissing in the great outdoors with the convenience of a chain flush - genius!

Open air toilets..what will they think of next?
I then drove around to Queenscliffe where they have a big music festival every year.  I went down to the wharf and got a pic of the ferry that carries passengers and their cars to Sorrento on the other side of the bay:

Stop! Ferry Time
However, little did I know I had entered a restricted area to get the photo.

Read the sign, dickhead - "RESTRICTED AREA - No Public Access"
As I was busy dicking about with the camera and negotiating the insects:

Without my camera tripod I'm relying on insect infested posts...
The gate which I had casually walked through had now closed! Oh shit!

Uh oh...
I eventually found a spot to jump over and scurry away with my tail between my legs.
After some lunch, I made my way around to Torquay and hung five...

Hangin' five at Bells Beach
then ten...

Hangin' 10 at Bells Beach
...at the famous Bells Beach.
I was planning on staying in Torquay tonight but the signs upon entering the town saying "Sleeping in vehicles in any public places strictly prohibited" kinda made me feel a little unwelcome so I decided to keep making my way along the Great Ocean Road.
Along the way I stopped for photos of the lighthouse at Airey's Inlet famous for being the lighthouse featured in the kids show "Round the Twist"...I used to LOVE that show.

The Lighthouse from Round The Twist
I tried to get a bit arty with my photography of the lighthouse but I think it was a fail:

Arty lighthouse picture fail
I passed through the towns of Anglesea, Lorne and Apollo Bay with one eye on the road and the other on the views.

You are now entering the Great Ocean Road
I wonder why they call it The Great Ocean Road?
I pulled over to get this shot of the sun rays through the crowd and waited for the voice or Morgan Freeman to say something prophetic but nothing was doing:

Stephen, son of Bob, this is God.
I eventually found the Johanna camping area which is right by the beach. Welcome back to the road and the ocean, Stevo.

Johanna Beach campground..see little Freda on the left?

No comments:

Post a Comment