Thursday 19 July 2012

12/7/12


After some brekky and yoga it was time to hit the road again.
After spending more than 9 hours driving yesterday, I was keen to take it a bit easier today.

I think I'm becoming obsessed with clouds...

After a couple of hours I hit Mt Isa. It was strange to be in a city again after three weeks of being cut off from most things at Undara (and loving it!).
It was 31 degrees today, hard to believe, considering it's the middle of July. I'm not complaining though, I'd take the heat over the cold ANY day.

Spotted a truck made at Nixon's in Wagga
I spent the afternoon in the air conditioned comfort of the tourist info centre, uploading blogs and checking my email then it was off to the camp spot for the night, 50km the other side of Mt Isa.

Freda at WWII camp spot

I rolled in to the spot and immediately picked up on the distinct tones of two banjos being played.
So I went for a walk to see who was playing and met Andy, Leon and Noel. Andy was giving Leon a banjo lesson and Noel was just being Noel.
I introduced myself and they were all really nice blokes. I said I was on my way to Darwin for a gig on The Ghan and they invited me around later that night to have a jam.
I made some dinner (ie heated up some soup) and a dude who I met at Undara about 5 days earlier, Vincent from France, rolled in.

I remembered at the last second that these shorts have a hole in the crutch so had to adjust my pose accordingly

I still find it funny how you meet these people on the road then end up running into them again days, or even months, down the track.
So that night we had a great old time, singing and laughing.

Andy, Leon, Steve and Noel

Leon: "You eat snails? Vincent: "Snails?"

Andy was an old fashioned gentleman, he reminded me a bit of my Pop actually. He lost his wife 10 months and you could tell he was still in a lot of pain, poor bugger.
And Noel, well.....






No comments:

Post a Comment