Thursday 12 July 2012

Undara & The Music


My three week stint at Undara also did wonders for my confidence as a musician, songwriter and performer.
After years of slogging it out doing gigs where people don't show up or when they do they have absolutely no interest in listening, the audiences at Undara inspired me to continue with this music thing.
The setting was perfect for my solo acoustic performances. I played through my PA at low volumes, from 8pm around a campfire to people who were there to listen.
With people listening, it allowed me to actually talk to them between songs and I got a lot of good feedback as to how good I was with the audience between songs as well as with the kids.

"I'll have two cds, thanks"

It helped me develop my skills as performer and I learned a lot about set lists and how to manipulate an audience to meet your needs.
For example, a winner for me was to play "You are my sunshine" then follow that up immediately with one of my own songs while the whole audience was still focused. Sneaky, very sneaky.
Another bonus for me was the audience was a different set of people every night. It was good for once to have the audience come to me rather than me having to plead, beg and bribe people to come!
I'd be lieing if I said I didn't enjoy people coming up to me after each gig saying positive things about my voice, songs, banter or just being generally appreciative of my efforts. It probably sounds very corny but it was very fulfilling for me to entertain people with what talent I have.
It also felt good to effectively be a working musician for three weeks straight - what a wonderful feeling!
Undara was also a very creative time for me too. I wrote and recorded three new songs: "Campfire song", "Man in the sand" and "The Tree" which may or may not make it on to the new cd.
Sample of "Man in the sand" here (think being in the country is rubbing off on me??)
Making musical magic in my room
I also managed to shift a reasonable number of cds in three weeks. I won't say how many but I did have to get James to send me up more stock as I did run out at one point.

The pedestal from which I sold my cds (looking strangely like a Legend of Zelda trophy)
I've always known that for each good gig there's about 6 shitty ones so after my Undara run I'm probably due for a good 6 to 12 months of "Forsayth-like" gigs but so be it - I'd never take back my Undara gigs for quids.

Last camp fire gig with Lulu, Dutchy, Trev and Ronja....


No comments:

Post a Comment