Monday 21 May 2012

18/05/12 - 21/05/12


On Saturday I had my gig at Salthouse in Cairns.
The girl, well, now woman I guess, who books bands at Salthouse, Olivia White, is a family friend whom I hadn't seen for probably about 20 years.

Salthouse, Cairns

When I was a young fella, a group of Dad's mates and their families would get together once a year for the "family reunion".
Each year we'd take in turns on where it would be held but I mostly remember the weekends at the Great Aussie Resort near Albury and at a place in Bright.
Anyway, the point of my story is Olivia is the daughter of Kevin and Deb and Kevin is one of Dad's mates.
Far out! I don't think I'm explaining this well...has my brain gone to mush?? Egh...
Ok, I did a gig at Salthouse which was booked by a family friend and it was a good night playing some tunes and catching up with Olivia, Brigid, Kevin and Deb after all these years down the track.

Kevin, Steve, Olivia, Brigid & Deb

I didn't sell any cds but a bloke identifying himself as "Downsy" came up to me after the gig and said how much he enjoyed it. He said the songs I played just took him back to campfire jams that he used to have and he reckoned I'd go down well in some of the pubs further west of here.
He gave me the number of a mate of his who runs the pub at Mt Garnett so I'll probably give him a call on my way back from up north.
It just goes to show though that when you're playing it pays to assume that people are listening even though it may appear that no one is paying attention. For the life of me I had no idea they were listening let alone enjoying it so I've learned another little lesson there...
I got an email from an "Eva" from Belgium saying she has a van too and wants to travel up to Cooktown and to Central Oz which is also my plan so I'm meeting up with her in Port Douglas on Tuesday.
I recently got a text from Eva saying she'll be picking up "Martha" in the Daintree and she will be joining us too.
I have no idea what Eva and Martha look like but I keep chuckling to myself when I think of the prospect of Steve and two European hotties possibly travelling around Australia together. hahaha! Maybe some of that good Karma I've been cultivating is finally paying off??
I texted my mate Bill about it as I had to brag to someone and he said "Mate, it could be what dreams are made of.." Or nightmares, so we'll just take it one day at a time.
But all jokes aside, even though I doubt the girls will be of much use if we run into any trouble on the road, I think it will be far better than facing it alone...which I guess could be a possibility still if we fail to get along...
Who knows what will happen...


1 comment:

  1. Hey dude.. I am from Germany by the way.. ;) and Martha is a dutch girl..;)right now I am waiting for you at the Marina... where r u?:)

    ReplyDelete