Tuesday 29 May 2012

28/05/12


It was on to Cooktown today.
A couple of people questioned why I would want to go there, but apart from the standard response of, "Why not?", a part of me just wanted to go as far north as Freda could take me so, here we are!

Why do they call it Black Mountain?

When I got to town I went to the tourist info place which had free and super-fast wifi... I think I'll be making use of that tomorrow.
Most of the walking tracks that I wanted to do were closed so I did a couple of lamer ones until I saw a snake and I back-tracked like >insert topical political quote here< (I've been out of the loop as to what's happening in the world so you're gonna have to fill in the blanks there).

Moments before I saw the snake...and was attacked by a horde of Orcs...
I took the track down to the bay, hoping again for turqoise water but I now concede that won't happen until I hit the west coast.

Finch Bay, Cooktown

If the water isn't gonna be blue, I'll take photos of the sand!
Oh, how's my wildlife photography? eh? eh?

Yellow butterfly....booyah!
I did get a photo of a snake when I got back to the botanic gardens:

The common "Green Nylex" snake..found in most backyards across Australia...
I then had some lunch and went to down town Cooktown for a look around.

The bay at Cooktown

Why do they call it Cooktown?

In the park there was a rad little thing called the "Musical Ship" which had little instruments that could bang and hit and make out tunes on.

The Musical Ship - very cool!
After belting out a superb rendition of "Lean on me" I was then off to have fun with a Chinese statue, as you do.

Oh Mr Chinaman, I bet you say that to all the tourists...
Day one in Cooktown complete and if you're reading this then you can rightfully assume I surived the night too.


No comments:

Post a Comment